CBD oil is being utilized by consumers who are seeking relief from a variety of health concerns, including anxiety, stress, sleep disorders, PTSD, and even Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. You can find CBD oil at your local health food store or at dozens of online retailers. But, can you make it from the comfort of your own home? Here’s all you need to know about making your own CBD oil.
How to Make CBD Oil: 3 Ways
To make CBD oil, you need to separate and collect the CBD and other essential oils from the stalks and seeds of the hemp plant. This extraction can be done in three different ways:
- CO2 method – CO2 is pushed through the hemp plant at a high pressure to pull out all of the beneficial properties of the plant. This process is regarded as the best and safest method because it cleanly extracts CBD, leaving little to no plant residue in the oil. CBD oil extracted using the CO2 method has a clean taste and a higher potency. However, it isn’t practical for at home use.
- Ethanol method – CBD oil can also be extracted with grain alcohol as a solvent. However, this method destroys some beneficial properties in the hemp plant. It’s not as clean or precise as the CO2 method.
- Oil method – This method is the best for making CBD oil at home. It uses a carrier oil as a solvent, such as olive oil or coconut oil. While this method isn’t as precise at the CO2 technique, it does offer some additional benefits. Due to the added nutrients in the carrier oil, it offers more benefits than CBD oil alone. Plus, it’s free of unwanted residues and doesn’t destroy any of the beneficial properties in the plant.
How to Make CBD Oil at Home
The oil method of extracting CBD oil is one of the safest and easiest ways to make CBD oil at home. You will need a carrier oil, such as coconut or olive oil, a saucepan, a mason jar, and your choice of container for the CBD oil. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- To get started, choose leaves and stems of a high-quality hemp plant. You’ll first need to put the plants through a process called decarboxylation. This activates the plant’s chemicals so they’re best absorbed and utilized by the body. To do this, heat your oven to approximately 230 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 to 30 minutes. You want the plant to turn slightly brown, as well as begin to crisp. You don’t want it to burn or fully cook.
- Next, grind your hemp plant into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle.
- Add half water and half oil mixture in your saucepan. You can adjust how much oil to add depending on how potent you want your final CBD product to be. You’ll need enough to properly saturate the hemp particles. Add your prepared hemp and stir to combine.
- Start the heat at a low setting and stir the mixture constantly so nothing clumps up or gets stuck to the bottom of the pan. Slowly increase the heat, until the mixture approached boiling. You can see small bubbles floating up as it begins to boil. Use a candy thermometer to check the temperature. Once you hit 200 degrees, allow the mixture to gently simmer. Keep stirring.
- Allow to simmer for about thirty minutes until most of the water has evaporated and the hemp plant particles begin floating to the top. Then, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Using a fine mesh sieve, strain the infusion into a mason jar for storage. You can discard the hemp powder or use it for another purpose. Place the oil and water mixture in the fridge for at least two hours. The olive oil will separate and harden, so you will find a layer of potent CBD oil at the top and the water completely extracted at the bottom. Simply scrape the oil off the top and transfer to your choice of storage container. Now, your CBD oil is ready to be used!
Is Making CBD Oil at Home Safe?
There’s one final caveat to making your own CBD oil at home. While you can make quality CBD oil in your own kitchen, it can be tricky to know the potency of the final product. In other words, you won’t know exactly how much many milligrams of CBD each dose contains. Therefore, you can never really be sure you’re getting the right dosage, and that can affect your results. Instead, you should purchase CBD oil from a reputable company that regularly does testing on the potency, safety, and efficacy of their products.
Our proprietary full-spectrum hemp extract powder goes through rigorous testing at various points throughout the extraction and packaging process. If you’re looking for a hemp extract product that’s fully tested and fully traceable, look no further.