Eating the right balance of nutrients can make you feel better, perform better athletically, and even boost your mood. But getting enough essential vitamins isn’t always easy, especially for those who are leading busy lives. Preparing healthy food can be time consuming, especially when you’re always on the go. Plus, there are probably times you end up filling up on too much dessert, leaving little room for salad. That’s where superfood powders come into play. Superfood powders are basically highly nutritious foods dehydrated and finely ground into powders. They’re easy to prepare and can help fill in the gaps in an otherwise healthy diet. Here’s how.
What to Look for in a Superfood Powder
Superfood powders are made from highly nutritious foods, known as superfoods, that have been dehydrated and ground into a fine powder. However, not all superfood powders are created equal. Look for words like “cold-pressed” or “freeze-dried.” This method of dehydration retains most of the nutrients of the whole fruit or vegetable.
You might also want to look for organic superfood powders as well, as some more conventional options may contain chemicals or processed ingredients. You also want to ensure that the superfood powder you choose doesn’t have any additives. Keep a close eye on sugar content, as too much sugar can negate any of the potential health benefits from the supplement. Ideally, the superfood powder you choose should be free from any added sugar.
Benefits of Superfood Powders
Superfood powders can provide a lot of nutritional benefits that directly improve your health. Here’s just a sampling of what they have to offer:
- Vitamins A and C boost the immune system. Superfood powders are typically high in vitamins A and C. These essential vitamins help support healthy immune system function.
- Added probiotics improve digestive health. Many brands of superfood powders include probiotics, which may help support immune function and digestive health. Additionally, they may also contain prebiotics, which support good bacteria in your intestines to promote gut health.
- Anti-inflammatory effects cut risk of chronic disease. The plant compounds in superfood powders may actually help reduce the risk of chronic diseases. One study followed ten healthy people for four weeks who took three or six teaspoons of powdered greens each day. The results showed a dose-dependent increase in serum antioxidant potential, and researchers observed a statistically significant reduction in protein and lipid oxidation.
- Superfood nutrients reduce high blood pressure. Another 90-day study in 40 people with high blood pressure found that taking two tablespoons of superfood powder each day decreased both systolic and diastolic blood pressure significantly.
- Antioxidants combat free radicals. Superfood powders support detoxification by combating free radicals. Whenever the liver processes certain compounds, damaging free radicals are created. These free radicals are responsible for damaging cells and contributing to illness and aging. Superfood powders are rich in antioxidants. These antioxidants can help combat free radicals to improve your overall health.
- High vitamin and mineral content can promote heart health. Vitamin C has been found to be beneficial to the heart in both reducing the risk of heart disease and reversing damage.
How to Incorporate Superfood Powders into Your Daily Routine
If you’re looking for easy, no-brainer ways to increase your nutrition, look no further than superfood powders. They’re incredibly easy to incorporate into your daily routine. In fact, they’re often a lot easier to prepare than whole fruits and vegetables. The fact is that they’re made with convenience in mind to help you get the nutrition you need without a lot of fuss. Here are a few ways you can incorporate them into your daily meals:
- Blend them into a smoothie
- Make a smoothie bowl
- Mix them into oatmeal
- Add them to an omelet
- Sprinkle them over vegetables
- Mix them into a vegetable dip
- Add them to soup
- Make a homemade salad dressing
- Add to a homemade salsa
- Mix them into yogurt
Not a Substitute for Whole Fruits and Vegetables
While superfood powders have their place, they shouldn’t completely replace whole fruits and vegetables. Though they have a multitude of benefits, they’re not a nutritional silver bullet. Eating a wide variety of whole fruits and vegetables is the best way to achieve nutritional balance. Fruits and vegetables in their natural form are high in water and fiber. These attributes can help promote fullness and prevent overeating. Superfood powders, on the other hand, are low in fiber and are dehydrated. Therefore, they aren’t as filling as whole fruits and vegetables.
Superfood powders can be a part of a healthy daily nutritional routine. Although they shouldn’t completely replace whole fruits and vegetables, they are a quick and easy way to get your daily dose of essential nutrients.